- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup warm milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 Shallots
- 16 ounces Crab Meat
- 1 teaspoon red pepper (or more if you like spicy)
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 4 abalone steaks
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet and stir in flour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring over medium heat about 1 minute but do not allow flour to brown.
- Add milk. Cook and stir 1 or 2 minutes until mixture comes to boil and thickens. Set aside.
- For abalone, melt 1 tablespoon butter in small saucepan, add shallots and cook until tender but not browned.
- Add crabmeat and heat thoroughly.
- Add enough white sauce to bind, about 1/2 cup.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper and then add red pepper, mustard, Worcestershire and lemon juice.
- Carefully pound abalone steaks between 2 sheets of waxed paper until very thin (unless purchased already pounded).
- Dip abalone in eggs seasoned to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Coat with flour and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy skillet.
- Add abalone and brown quickly on one side.
- Turn and brown other side. Do not overcook, as abalone will toughen.
- Place abalone steaks on platter and spoon crabmeat stuffing on each.
- Roll and arrange on serving platter, seam down.
- If desired, serve with any remaining sauce.