- 1 pound clean squid with tentacles, bodies cut into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rings
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 1 cup simple tomato sauce or jarred marinara sauce warmed
Pour enough oil into a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Mix the flour, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Working in small batches, toss the squid into the flour mixture to coat. Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and very pale golden, about 1 minute per batch. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the fried calamari to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Place the fried calamari and lemon wedges on a clean plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with the marinara sauce.