- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1 can (3 ounces) green olives stuffed with pimentos, drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup canned tomato paste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 pounds salmon fillet, with skin
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Nonstick olive oil spray
Mix the olives, tomato paste, olive oil, wine vinegar, lemon juice and water. Set aside; store in the refrigerator if kept longer than 4 hours.
Heat broiler; position the oven rack so salmon will be 5 to 6 inches from heat. Season the flesh-side of the salmon with the seasoning, and spray liberally with oil. Spray the broiler pan lightly with olive oil, or use foil to minimize clean-up. Start the fish flesh-side down; grill until browned, about 5 minutes. Broil, turning once, until the fish flakes to gentle pressure. Depending on the thickness of the fillet this will take any where from 5 to 10 minutes more.
Slip the spatula between the skin and the flesh. Lift the fish onto a cutting board or serving platter; if the skin sticks to the broiler pan, it can be scraped off later. Spoon the olive sauce over the salmon and serve.